COYI - or a visit to a West Ham football match

All the chaps in my immediate family support West Ham United Football Club, so it has rubbed off on me a little bit, and I 'sort of' support them as well.  Just after New Year my younger son rang to invite Brian to a football match as his wife was not well.  Brian also was unwell so I was asked if  I would like to go.   Of course, I said yes!    The outing was more exciting for me because it was the first time I had ever attended a proper football match - I have been several times to watch our grandson play - but it was a Home match and West Ham's home ground is now The London Stadium, originally built for the 2012 London Olympics.   Double Yes!!

Kick off was 12.30 so it was an early start for me.  Drove over to Son's house, and Lisa took us to the station where we boarded a train to London.  Then on to the Jubilee Line for the train to Stratford, the nearest station to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park where the London Stadium is situated.    We had a quick bite to eat at a McDonald's then walked to the stadium.  The crowds were beginning to gather and it was all very exciting.  We quickly found our seats and waited for the game to start.    My son stopped me just as we got to the top of the stairs before finding our seats for an awe-inspiring view of the stadium. It is all very impressive.


The Olympic swimming pool with the ArcelorMittal Orbit in the background

My first view of the stadium


The ArcelorMittal Orbit - Sculpture and Observation tower.  

Harry leads the way


To prove I was there!



Over the water - not sure what this is called, but it goes around the Park.

This little dog was collecting for the Bobby Moore Charity against Bowel Cancer

Another view of the ArcelorMittal Orbit.  The tubes you see running around is a slide.
Abseiling also takes place here.






Just before our first goal



It was such an exciting day, made most enjoyable in the company of my younger son and his son.  A day I will never forget. 

We played against Birmingham, who were in fine voice singing and chanting all the way through the game.   To no avail as West Ham won 2-0.

We left promptly before the teams played extra time to avoid the crowds all leaving at the same time.  There was a lot of police in evidence, and we were marshalled back to the station very efficiently by the stewards. We went through a small crowd of what was obviously "rent-a-mob" so it was reassuring that there were so many policemen and marshalls about. 

OH - COYI?  It is internet speak for "Come on you Irons" - West Ham's logo being two crossed hammers referring back to their origins as Thames Ironworks team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Morris Dancers in Horsham - May 2023