Day Trip to the Horniman Museum -May 2023

 The Horniman Museum is in Forest Hill, South East London.   I went with the Humanities Group of the U3A.  My neighbour is the leader of this group and as she had spaces on the coach asked if I wanted to go.

The museum was founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman, who had inherited Horniman's Tea, his father's tea business.  in 1891 Hornimans Tea was the largest tea trading company in the world,   Proceeds from the business allowed Horniman to indulge his lifelong passion for collecting.   After travelling extensively he had some 30,000 items in his various collections, covering natural history, cultural artifacts, and musical instruments.

There is also a Butterfly House (sadly closed on the day I visited), and an aquarium.   Outside there is also a sunken garden (sadly also closed for renovations) and a new herb garden featuring herbs from around the world.  I also discovered a small .enclosure with some animals.


This bit of garden was closed off, but I think it was used for weddings as it was right next to the Conservatory


There was a wedding photography shoot going on all day here

Another view of the wedding garden

We were very high up and there is a magnificent view across London.  Sadly it was rather cloudy

Viewing Pavilion (also closed off)

I have never seen such a large rabbit - it was the size of a cat.


A pygmy goat and a blackfaced sheep.



Alpaca

Another one


Jellyfish in the aquarium 
















Did you spot the squirrel?

-------------------------------------------------


Comments

  1. Once again some beautiful photography Gwen. Be interested to visit this place at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I spotted the squirrel - looks like he/she was posing for you 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I love to know what you think of my ramblings.

Popular posts from this blog

The Morris Dancers in Horsham - May 2023